Dixie Graves Armory – Montgomery, Alabama

Opened In: 1935

Location:

Seating Capacity:

 

The Works Progress Administration built the Dixie Bibb Graves Armory in Montgomery in 1935. The structure was named after Dixie Graves, the first female senator to represent Alabama, and wife of Governor Bibb Graves. A WPA grant for the armory was secured through the lobbying of Governor Bibb Graves, Mayor Bill Gunter, and Alabama Senator Hugo Black. It was used as a venue for wrestling from the mid 1950s through the 1960s. Today the structure serves as the Armory Learning Arts Center.

 

The Dixie Grave Armory 1950s.

 

Current view of the Armory Learning Arts Center, formerly the Dixie Graves Armory.