Blackham Coliseum – Lafayette, Louisiana

Opened in: 1949

Location: 2330 Johnston Street

Seating capacity: 5500

 

Blackham Coliseum is a multipurpose arena in Lafayette, Louisiana. It was built on the University of Louisiana at Lafayette campus in 1949 as the home to the then-named SLI Bulldogs, now called the Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns men’s basketball teams. The arena was named for Stafford Morgan Blackham, former dean of the Department of Animal Husbandry at SLI, and as such it was built to host livestock exhibitions as well as athletics. It replaced the 1,500-seat Earl K. Long Gymnasium as home to the athletics teams. It remained the home for the men’s team until the Cajundome was completed in 1984. The women still play the majority of their games at Blackham Coliseum. It is still in use on a regular basis for various events.

 

Blackham Coliseum

Blackham Coliseum